Wedding Love Birds

Friday, April 9, 2010

How I Got Started Sewing

As I said in my last post, I got started by sewing love birds for my wedding. A pair of these little guys sat in front of each bridesmaid at the head table.



I apologize for the poor picture. I wish there were good pictures from the reception, but the photographer was more focused on the flowers. These little guys always ended up out of focus in the foreground. I got the wonderful pattern for these guys from Spool Sewing. They seem like a totally fabulous sewing and fabric shop in Philadelphia. I'll have to check them out some day. I highly recommend you take a look at the bird mobile that they provided the pattern for. You can see the love birds from different angles. I just love the flat tales. It makes them so much more realistic and streamlined than most of the plush birds out there.

I also have to thank Spool Sewing. When I originally found this pattern, they were having some server issues and the pattern suddenly disappeared. The people at Spool Sewing were so good about my frantic email asking if the pattern would be back up :-).

These little guys were pretty easy to put together. I cheated a little by finishing the tails using Stitch Witchery. This seemed to work pretty well, but I wouldn't use this technique if you plan on washing the birds, it never seems to hold up well in the wash. You should also be careful not to over-stuff the bird. I noticed that some other people that attempted the project reported that any stuffing in the tail made them look more like turkeys.

You may have guessed, but we did a love bird theme for our wedding. There will be more bird wedding crafts scattered through the posts.

0 comments:

Post a Comment