The Wrap Skirt

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Why Darts Can Be A Girl's Best Friend

Right after I received my new sewing machine, we trekked off to Ohio to visit my husband's family. It just so happens that my grandmother-in-law lives in Hudson, OH, home of Joann Fabrics headquarters.



Naturally, I had to make a pilgrimage to pick up lots of fabric for all of the new projects that were dancing in my head.

One of the fabrics that I picked up was a green and brown (I love green) shirting material. I bought 2 yards, not quite knowing what I wanted to do with it. I decided that I wanted to make a wrap skirt. After reviewing the instructions here and here, I foolishly disregarded their careful measurements. I had dreams of a skirt that would be the sleek love child of a wrap and a pencil skirt. The skirts in the instructions were too much of an A-line. I decided to lessen the difference in width between the bottom and the top of my skirt. This might have worked if the human body were shaped like a pencil. As this is not the case, this did not work. What I had was a skirt that fit fine through the hips, but was huge through the waist.

It took me a few days to figure out that this project could be salvaged with darts. Darts are the easiest thing in the world. You basically draw a triangle flush with the edge of your garment and then sew the remaining edges together. You just press the excess fabric to the side. Darts saved my skirt.



Ultimately the skirt turned out to be a pretty decent fit. I used a brown poplin bottom weight to back my shirting material. I also created a waist band by turning the top of the skirt down.



I love how the skirt goes perfectly with the green and brown pearls that my in-laws got me for Christmas. Check out Dresie Designs on Etsy, although the store appears empty at present.

To finish off the dress I used buttons to fasten it in the back. Buttons are really handy when you haven't yet mastered a zipper. Expect fewer button closures in the future.

0 comments:

Post a Comment